Want to work full-time building new CodeCombat levels that millions will play? You should join CodeCombat as our Chief Artisan.
- Build levels! You’ll use our level editor to turn concepts into levels. It’s equal parts dragging and dropping ogres, writing custom level scripting, balancing gameplay, and writing documentation and level metadata.
- Tune levels. We have extensive analytics on where players get confused or stop having fun. You’ll dig into that data to come up with balance tweaks, helpful asides, and improved pacing for all our levels.
- Create level components. Code up new hero abilities, spells, items, and enemies that will be used across multiple levels.
- Flexibility. This is a remote job. Work wherever, whenever you want, as long as you get levels done.
- Challenge. Building levels that are both fun and educational is nearly impossible–just the way you like it.
- XP. This is an entry-level game design and programming job, but you’re going to level up fast.
- Gold. Nothing is more important to CodeCombat than the levels, so when you’re making great levels, you’ll be well rewarded with competitive pay.
- A good coder. You actually don’t need to know much programming, but if the CodeCombat levels we have so far are hard for you, then making them is going to be even harder.
- An enthusiastic player. You need to have played all the levels up through Coinucopia at the minimum, and ideally you are waiting hungrily for each week’s level releases. If you enjoy CodeCombat, you'll have the empathy required to make levels that are fun for others as well as yourself.
- Creative. We’ll work together to design levels, and you’ll bring them to life in the level editor with your artful Artisan artistry.
- Detail-obsessed. You’re going to need to care deeply about your levels, even down to the starting indentation on the newlines in the sample code after each if-statement. You're so attentive, you even read this entire post and luckily noticed the next sentence. Please include the word “rampage” in the body when you email firstname.lastname@example.org about this job.
- Fluent in English. You don’t need to be a native speaker, but your communication needs to be good enough to work smoothly as a distributed team member.
- Fast Internet and computer. Our development tools are resource intensive.
The job starts as soon as possible, so we can’t wait until the summer, nor will part-time be enough.
We don’t care about traditional credentials, so we’re going to do this by audition: after you get in touch with us to tell us about yourself, use our level editor to build this level. When introducing yourself, be friendly, not formal. Ask questions.
Please pass this on to friends who might be interested. We’ll review applicants on a rolling basis and update this post when we’ve hired someone.
Our mission is to make programming feel like the magic that it is. So put on your robe and wizard hat and join us!
Update: we have our new Chief Artisan. Stay tuned to find out who and play all 42 audition levels.